Monday, September 21, 2009

Here we go.

Running after one only day of rest?? Alas, yes.

So...we got this e-mail ("we" being my half-marathon group) last Friday and apparently we aren't training hard enough. The two days a week I've been running? No! It should be three! The two or three or (that one time) four miles I run after work? No! I should be aiming for five!

I'm not sure such a schedule is physically possible or mentally helpful (um, hello, it's not like I have all this time on my hands and absolutely nothing to do except run...I also have to blog about running!) but wanting to be a good little half-marathoner I thought, 'OK, I'll bite. What is this schedule that I'm supposed to be following and whatnot?'

Our leader-man promised to bring the schedules to our group run on Saturday morning but he forgot. "Just e-mail me!" he said. "I'll send you everything to you in an attachment!"

I e-mailed him as soon as I got home and have not heard anything since.

So I really don't know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing, but I do know that giving myself only one day of rest after a long run will build endurance or whatever so, er, yeah. I ran today. Though only two miles. Baby steps! I'm kind of tired. And I ate leftover Mexican for dinner which isn't exactly an energy booster.

I went out waaaaay too fast and did the first mile in 11:04 and then was just dead for mile two (11:12). For real. I was dragging across the finish line. I almost always am able to finish strong and run the last tenth of a mile pretty fast. Not today. It just wasn't all that great, any way you look it. But anytime you train, there are periods where you peak and trough.

What I learned today was a) I'm totally troughing, and b) next time I'll lay off the Mexican. Blech.

3 comments:

  1. Wow your not superman! Do what you feel is enough..... Dont want to do too much and wipe youself out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds alot! Does everyone else have a full time job! When would you ever get time to see friends or relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...it's too much!! :( I'm definitely not running tonight and I might not run Wednesday, either (we'll see how I feel). I'm just SO tired today! Part of the reason I'd been keeping my running during the week to a minimum is because I'm scared I'll hurt myself or get way exhausted. (Not to mention, like Chris said, I have a life outside of this!)

    I think last night was proof that I'll need to give myself time to work up to more training...IF I even want to do that. It seems like if it was so important we follow a schedule, he would have sent me the damned e-mail by now!! :)

    ReplyDelete