Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Er, no running tonight.

The half-marathon schedule(s) finally came via electronic mail and it seems to me that the rousing speech we got last Saturday about increasing our training must have been geared towards the full marathoners. For I, myself, did not see anything on the schedule(s) that indicated that I was anything except ahead of schedule re my mileage. Ergo, no running tonight.

But I'll be back at it tomorrow. And I did cross-train this evening. I was quite proud of myself for doing so, too, because I forgot earlier and I thought, 'hmmm...maybe I'm too tired?' But I knew I wasn't really. So go me.

This weekend I started a mile-counter on the sidebar so that I when I need a motivational-boost, I can simply look over there and congratulate myself on the many, many miles I've run. But I wasn't sure how accurate the count was. So far, my pedometer has always been well over the distance calculated by Google on our long runs on Saturday. On Monday, in an attempt to figure out if it was calibrated correctly, I wore my pedometer on my two mile run, knowing the distance was exact around the track. What did my pedometer read at the end?

1.88 miles.

Huh. Granted, I was running quicker than usual and thus my stride was a tad longer, but there is a very real possibility that my calculations have been a tenth of a mile off for every two miles I've run on Saturdays.

In which case my tally could be as much as a mile short (!).

WHO KNOWS, my friends?! All I know is that I enjoyed the night off and that right now, I'm going to bed. Until tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear you enjoyed your night off! I took a night off due to the dust storm and i felt kinda bad. But you totally deserved it and i hope you made the most of it!

    44.5miles- im lucky to drive that in a week! Keep up the good work! You'll get there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Sam! I seriously meant to go to bed right after I posted that last night so I'd be all rested up today and, er, yeah. Didn't exactly happen. Nonetheless! I will push through and run some tonight. :)

    And I'm glad you didn't try to do anything with the dust storm going on!! On our news, they were talking to doctors who were treating patients around our age who had tried to exercise and now couldn't breathe. As far as excuses go, I think "epic dust storm" ranks as a damned good one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have a day of rest! You train hard darling!

    OMG I just saw 44.5 miles! That's lots!

    I do walk to work and back again most days. Which I think is 1.6 miles, But I never run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering how well my run went tonight, I think there's no question I was in need of a break! :)

    1.6 miles is a good walk!! I'm sure you'd get all sweaty if you ran...and that'd be no good...but I'm envious. I wish I could walk to work; I'm not sure how many miles it is one way, but it's far enough that I'd have to set out extremely early and take my life in my hands walking on some very busy streets to get there. :P

    ReplyDelete