Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The New Shoes

Blue! The new ones are blue!
Damn. I was so attached to the pink ones that it's only now that the blue ones are in my possession that I realize how much I'll miss them! We had some good times, my pinks shoes and me. *sad face*

Here's the thing. You can't buy running shoes based on color (tragically). Back when I didn't know what the fuck I was doing, I would just go to the New Balance store, pick out something that looked cool, and run in them. And inevitably the shoes wouldn't feel good and I'd quit running.

After my first half-marathon (2007), I decided I should maybe go to an actual running shoe store and have an actual running shoe store employee watch me as I actually ran. It was then that I learned that my entire adult life I'd been wearing shoes one size too big, and also that Nike Zoom Structure Triax running shoes are my match made in heaven.

The pair I bought tonight is my third. It's the same shoe every time. I just walk in, show the store person what's on my feet, and say, "I need this shoe." And then I get the shoe and it's exactly the same in every way except Nike changes the color every few months, so I never know what the hell I'm going to wind up with.

This time, it was blue.

So the above picture represents the condition of a brand new, never-been-worn pair of running shoes (in stupid blue).

The below picture represents what a pair of running shoes (in awesome pink!) looks like after about 200 miles:

And er, well, OK, I was hoping for a more dramatic contrast there. Damn that flattering flash in my living room! They're in pretty bad shape, but I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

And here we see the comparison from the bottom. The pink shoes are shredded. And I feel deep, deep personal pride over this. I have torn those shoes UP.

I was told this evening that I should definitely not do any more long runs in my pink shoes, but I'd be OK doing a few more short ones if I wanted. But to break in the blue ones before the 12 mile (!!!) run on Saturday, I'll wear them tomorrow for a shorter run.

I have no doubt they'll feel good. Tonight, like every other time I've bought a new pair, I put them on and couldn't believe the spring in them.

But I already know I'm not going to look as good in them. Man. I really, really, really liked the pink...

Better luck next time, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I was told this morning that the next pair, the new ones that are coming out now that I just missed by buying a little too early, are pink. Dammit!

    ReplyDelete